Subject: [Leica] The Economist (WAS: the prime minister of where?)
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Feb 13 21:56:07 2007

At 12:23 AM 2/14/2007, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
 >Hey Marc,
 >
 >Do you get some special Virginia edition of The Economist or something?
 >I subscribe too, have been a subscriber since my college days in the
 >1980s. I read it despite its consistent right-wing tilt, and I have even
 >forgiven them for endorsing GWB in 2000--because of the consistently
 >high editorial quality.
 >
 >But I would like to see the version you read, it must be very different
 >from mine. Are you sure you are not confusing it with Mother Jones or
 >something?

I like the ECONOMIST despite its decidedly VERY
Left-Wing tilt.  And I have been reading it since
my college days in the 1960's ...  There are
today no general-circulation moderate, much less,
"right-wing", publications emanating from the UK
or Europe but, then, the same is also true for
the US as well.  We are stuck with the sort of
mild Marxist tripe cranked out by Fox News or the
openly Marxist tripe we get from the NEW YORK TIMES or the WASHINGTON POST.

There are different editions, incidentally;  the
US, UK, and Europe all have unique ECONOMIST
editions and others exist as well:  the Asian
edition is regularly banned in Singapore.  As you
are a subscriber, go to the web site and you can view all of these.

The ECONOMIST is to be honored for its tradition
of dedication to a free market and to free
trade.  It is to be damned for its dedication to
over-management of personal lives by
governments.  Still, it really is the only game
in town for those of us interested in a quick
contact to what is going on in the world other
than the pap presented by the travesty the BBC now spews out.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] The Economist (WAS: the prime minister of where?))