Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak woes
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Feb 8 11:26:35 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 11:17 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Long live Fuji & Ilford.
>
> Chris

I have several relatives in the Rochester area connected in some way
with Kodak. They tell me that all film manufacturers are facing the
same decline in film demand and are scrambling to diversify their
business. Fuji seems to be well positioned with its digital line but
Ilford may be in worse trouble than Kodak. Fortunately Kodak has
adequate financial resources to weather a few more very bad years. My
nephew is charged with scouting out potential candidates for
acquisition. On a recent visit I jokingly asked if Leica was one of
those candidates, considering that Kodak sensors are used in the
cameras. He actually took me seriously and said that Leica had been
considered but that there was little point in seeking companies that
were in decline. Now if only they made iPods things might be different.

The only good news is that the production of 35 mm film stock will
continue for some time, at least pending a large scale movie industry
switch to digital. The layoffs at Kodak have severely depressed the
housing market in the upscale suburbs surrounding the central city.
You can buy an eight room MacMansion on a half dozen acres of land
for the price of 40 Leica M8s. The area is quite lovely and, except
for the economics and the lake effect snow, is one of the best places
to live in the USA.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from telyt at telus.net (David Young) ([Leica] Re: Kodak woes)