Subject: [Leica] A tripod, an M8, and two candles - do some science
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jan 7 11:30:16 2007

Jim,
The laws of physics do not change and light of different wave lengths
focuses at different points.  Modern glasses help a lot in this especially
if properly balanced with anomalous dispersion glass.  But, and this is a
big on, is that this only holds for a given set of wave lengths.  Two
extreme examples would be a lens that could focus X-rays not being the hot
ticket for normal light and the lenses that are used in steppers.  These are
optimized for one frequency of light used to etch the lines on the chips.
Totally useless outside of a very narrow wavelength of light.

Let's go back to Brian's and Steve's images.  Brian used a Noctilux which
was a heavily compromised design to generate good imagery at F1 on film
without using aspheric elements.  For the use it was intended it is a
masterpiece.  It was never intended to do well with very long wavelengths of
light.  Moving on to Steve's images, they are much crisper and seem in
better focus.  Probably due to a much more modern design that handles longer
wavelengths with more panache.

Last, to pull a Ted; geesh guys, get a life.  The new sensor handles light
differently than we are used to.  Non panchromatic films don't look the
same, neither does Ektachrome look like Kodachrome.  For most applications
the M8 delivers an amazing wonderful image that is very sharp out of the box
with out the built in sharpening from Nikon or the need to sharpen due to an
aggressive anti-aliasing filter in Canon.

Maybe I should buy three or four of these things and leave them in the box
to fund my retirement ala a two lug M5 NOS or a black paint SP.  :)

Don
don.dory@gmail.com