Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Sat Oct 28 09:16:52 2006

I'm doubting that Leica is going to move to a 1:1 CCD or CMOS.  Nikon has
given up on the full frame sensor, concentrating on lenses.  Those sensors
are just too big and expensive for a small manufacturer such as Leica to
invest in.  Panasonic hasn't brought anything near full frame out on their
own either.  It's a volatile market for this kind of hardware and Leica
can't take a chance to bring us a full frame M without the guarantee of
sales to make up for the immense expense.  Even now we're still speculating
about the sales of the M8.  I think you can look at the photo market BEFORE
digital took over to see what will be in store for Leica.  They were
foundering back then, as we were in the days of the do-everything super-auto
SLR's such as the F5 and the EOS1V.  In order to succeed in today's photo
market, Leica needs to really target a larger demographic.  I'm not sure how
they can do this though.  Part of the problem is the majority of Leica users
are seasoned photographers who cut their teeth on an old rangefinder, a
Nikon F or Pentax Spotmatic.  Leica doesn't have a history of use with the
current generation where the buying power lies.  More mass marketing, less
expensive products and losing the general attitude that anything with the
name "Leica" on it is prohibitively expensive.  That mentality that the
company set up over the last 70 years has created a version of snobbery that
the bulk of the current generation of photographers won't have a part of.
For the most part, people think that everything Leica is too expensive,
think nothing more of the red dot, and they move on to more wallet friendly
names such as Canon or Nikon.  This cult of superiority in everything that
Leica creates is coming back to bite them on the behind.  Lets hope that
they can adapt quickly and bounce back, lest they fall too far behind & get
bought by a construction company in Hoboken, NJ ala Contax decades ago.