Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Tue Jun 14 14:31:39 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 12:14 PM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> Sir Buzz of Belmont loves to say that focus and exposure are greatly
> over-rated. And while his tongue is clearly well implanted in his
> cheek,
> there is some truth in what he says - think about how many truly great
> images you've seen that are not "sharp" and could easily have used
> another
> stop of exposure. You don't look at them and think, 'if only' -
> rather, you
> look at the image and think, 'great shot!'

Last week I went to the Aperture exhibit here at the main Library in
Los Angeles.
Lots of brilliant work, mostly PJ type shots. The vast majority of them
were out of focus,
but the shooter sure as hell nailed the right moment.

Now as a shooter I am certainly not in the same category as these guys
and gals, but here is my approach. I do make an effort to try to nail
the technical aspects of my shots, but also I understand that when the
chips are down you are better off with a shot that is only 90% sharp,
than no picture at all.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com