Subject: [Leica] lneses and grain
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jun 12 16:05:31 2005

Feli,
I think that Erwin goes into this in his lens compendium.  As I understand
it the new designs have far more abrupt transitions when light or color
changes.  The new lenses would be an ice pick and the older designs would be
a golf tee.

So in color or density transitions, the newer designs would more accurately
record the change which would also translate into grains of silver at the
edges of the transition.  The older designs do not have as tight a core so
at transition points there would be a smoother transition.

All of this would not explain a clear sky being more or less "grainy".

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com