Subject: [Leica] Re: Walmart police NOW USA BORDER POLICE!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jun 9 07:18:56 2005

Daniel Ridings responded to Sonny:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Walmart police

> SonC@aol.com wrote:
> I  act nice to the people who work at Walmart, and they act nice  to
> me.<<<<

Daniel Ridings responded;
> Isn't it amazing how that works, Sonny? I have the same experience > with
> sullen border police and just about everywhere else. People to enjoy
> civilized company :-)<<<

Border officers  Canada-USA................
This isn't about Wal-Mart, but about a couple USA border officers on my
recent trip to the US.

Before we board the Coho ferry from Victoria, Canada for the crossing to
Port Angeles WA.USA we are checked while in our car waiting to board ferry.

Now given we're a couple of 76 year old guys who look like we just escaped
the local geriatric ward. ;-)

First officer
"G'day sir and where you fellas off to?" Me, "The Olympia Flight Museum" as
I handed him my passport. Asked in a stern voice, but pleasant expression.
"And what are you doing there?"   "I'm going to fly in a Mustang P51 fighter
plane." I reply

His eyes almost pop out of his head with the amazing line, "How old are you
sir?" "I'm 76 tomorrow and the flight is a birthday gift." I reply

Border officer all smiles. " Well now sir that is wonderful, you have a safe
flight. And enjoy a big happy birthday! "

That was it! Clean, simple, pleasant and a great welcome to the USA.

Cross the Strait of Juan de Fuca get off in the USA.

Officer 2: "Good day gentlemen and where are you off to?"  I give him the
same line as the Canadian side. He says" Well now doesn't that beat all, you
have a wonderful day and welcome."

My friend who was almost in  dead panic state while still in Canada with
great fear from the stories he'd read how the border between our two great
countries had evolved in to a horror story of interrogation, identity papers
etc and damn near blood type ID. couldn't believe how friendly the officers
were.

He went from fear of being incarcerated for no reason other than he'd been
an F86 fighter pilot in Europe and what would he want to be flying an
airplane in our country for? He wasn't there to fly but to enjoy all the old
aircraft.

His relief was amazing.

My point is, it still comes down to "if your friendly you are going to get
friendly back!" Best bet to save hassles, smile, be relaxed, papers and
camera gear at the ready and if and when you do run into a Neanderthal....
bite your tongue, stay nice and don't let yourself go to their low life
level!

ted

Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Re: Walmart police)