Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 28, Issue 408
From: jean.louchet at inria.fr (Jean Louchet)
Date: Sun Dec 26 04:16:08 2004

Hi,

I did never have the least difficulty with M/LTM adapters. I have always
used the adaptors exactly the same "natural" way as Stephen Gandy
recommends and none of my adaptors get stuck on any camera. I am normally
using three M cameras (CLE, M2 and M6) and two good zorkis (on the
occasions when I need something smaller or for "hard" use), combined with
several CV, Canon and Russian LTM lenses, and six adapters: two Leica
originals, two CV, and two from two other sources.

I don't have to use any Loctite and they all remain on the lens except
when I want to remove them. The only thing I do is press the unlock
button _before_ unscrewing the lens.

I think I would never consider buying a new "pure M" lens, as it would be
a frustration not to be able to use it on any LTM camera, unless it is one
of these bulky lenses that would hide the finder of most LTM cameras (e.g.
the 1.2/35 or the Nocti) and could not be used on a LTM anyway.

Just follow closely Stephen's recommendations and I am sure you won't be
in trouble again.

Another remark about the commercial point of view. If there were two
different types of each lens on the catalogue, then I am pretty sure the
prices would be higher to compensate for storage etc. expenses. One is
always free to ask his local dealer to put loctite on the adaptor and this
will not cost a fortune.

Third remark, about  the wrong position of LTM lenses. I did not have any
shift more than 5 deg. using both a CV lens and a CV or Leitz adaptor. The
real issue may be with Russian lenses and/or cameras.
The CV 12mm has got an adjustable shade so one can compensate.
The CV 15mm has got a fixed lens shade but it tolerates +- 10 degrees at
least.

Fourth remark, my M-Rokkor (Minolta) 2.8/28 is a real frustration when I
use it with the M6 as it triggers the 35mm frame (they did that to prevent
it from triggering the 90mm frame in the CLE). It they had made a LTM lens
I would have replaced the adaptor, but I can't.  Another frustration with
"pure M" lenses.

Jean

--
 Dr Jean Louchet       COMPLEX Project     INRIA Rocquencourt
                       BP105   78153 Le Chesnay cedex, France