Subject: [Leica] Newfies!
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Oct 14 20:02:14 2004

At 07:19 PM 10/14/04 -0230, Greg Locke wrote:

>Abbreviation for the island of Newfoundland. Currently the island portion of
>the Canadian province of Newfoundland & Labrador.

Residents of Newfoundland have achieved a rare status, being viewed by
other Canadians as the USians view folks from West Virginia.  "Newfie"
jokes abound, all being capable of rapid conversion into Polish or West
Virginia jokes by the simple substitution of the appropriate ethnic
minority as in, "A Newfie wanted Canada to send a manned mission to the
Sun.  A prominent scientist objected, stating, "My man, you will burn up
long before you reach the sun!" And the Newfie simply grinned and replied,
"That's all right, Doc.  We'll go at night."

Newfoundland does include some Gaelic-speaking communities, I recently
learned.  A fascinating area and I, too, have questions about the 1948
referendum.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!