Subject: [Leica] Re: Coming back to film
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Sun Oct 10 13:00:44 2004

In a message dated 10/10/2004 11:38:48 AM Central Standard Time,
fmaturana@euskalnet.net writes:
>>>After a long time of shooting but digital I've felt the necessity of
coming
>>back to film. Scanning is slower and less comfortable than just downloading
Umm, I am kinda moving back to film, though for me, it never went away.
Many
of my PAW shots are film, and I really just enjoy shooting film, though the
immediacy of the Panasonic is compelling.

A couple months ago I shot an editorial job (2 assignments, same magazine)
and since I sold my CLE to Nathan, I had only the one M6 in M mount.  That
wasn't too much of a problem, as I shot both assignments mixing film and
digital,
using film where film was best and digital in other places, where deep dof
or
macro was needed. I also used my Bessa L with the 15mm on it.

Though the deadline was not particularly tight, after it was over, and the
scans delivered over my server, I  seriously considered a DSLR.  I had a EOS
RT,
so I walked around with it a few days, and that was enough to convince me
that the bulk of the SLR was getting in the way of my style of photography.

So, assuming that there were no surprises in the way of rf digital coming
from photokina, I bought a beautiful, carefully used M6 from Craig Zeni.  So
now
I own two M6 classics, and I've been delighted with the fact that I can not
tell them apart when they are at my eye.  No feeling around for controls as
my
years of shooting with M cameras make the mechanics automatic for me.  With
the
2 bodies, I decided to do some swapping and acquired a VC 21mm in lieu of my
15, since I could now focus it when necessary.

Since I now have a second body to cover me, I sent the older M6 to DAG to
get
the film counter repaired.  (yeah, John I've been going THAT long without a
film counter)  I'm looking forward to having the pair. (One is Silver and
the
other black chrome.)

By the way, it isn't a prestige thing for me; in the time I have lived back
in Natchitoches, only one person has asked me, "Is that a Leica?"  He was a
college band member from some school in Texas we were playing football
against.

>>and however the habitual lack
>>of any response of the LUG I submit my pictures to the list

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=437257

Be assurred that while I hardly ever make a comment to anyone's picture, I
never miss looking at yours.   The boat, is it in dry dock, or some sort of
display?  I'd like to see more of it.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?, crawfish

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Re: Coming back to film - film or digital ?)