Subject: [Leica] Photokina and such
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Tue Oct 5 19:34:01 2004

Henning Wulff writes in part:

Hi Henning,

> The Zeiss camera was not yet up to production standards, so any
> impressions have to be tempered by that. It had a nice viewfinder,
> although not hugely better, IMO. The finish was poor, and it
> certainly didn't feel like a high quality item.

That's interesting. They (the Zeiss bodies) have been described as the
second coming on the Lug in the last few days! Mind you the individual
describing them as such had only seen the online photos available since last
Friday.

> We'll have to wait. I tried a couple of the lenses on my cameras, and took
> some shots. I
> don't know how much relevance the results will have, but I haven't
> developed them yet. I talked a while with Dr. Hubert Nasse of
> Zeiss about optical design, and specifically these lenses which he says
> were designed by Zeiss (and manufactured by Cosina). It was
> extremely interesting. The 15/2.8 and 85/2, both relatively huge, are
> manufactured by Zeiss in Germany. The display in the photos on my
> site was at the Zeiss booth, while the hands-on was at Hasselblad.
> I later saw Dr. Nasse again at a private room at Cosina, with
> Kobayashi-san. The prices are apparently likely to be in the 60%
> of Leica range. For that the present impressions of mechanical
> quality are marginal.

These are the two annouced Zeiss lenses I am most interested in looking at.
Did you get
a chance to get in some shots with these? If so, please post some scans when
available.

Regards,

Greg