Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo Web Site Software
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:58:36 -0700

Charles,
I would caution you to think twice before you build your website as a
collection of static pages, or HTML files.  Back in 1995, I came up with a
product called "iBasic", which evolved into what the world knows today as
Active Server Pages (ASP).  ASP is built into Windows NT, 2000, and XP.  A
company called Chilisoft made versions of ASP for a variety of UNIX variants
as well as Linux, and is now owned by Sun.  See http://www.chilisoft.com/
and http://www.asp.net/

ASP is a great time saver for photo websites.  For example, let's say you
have 100 images you wish to display, 10 to a "light table" page.  With
regular (static) HTML, that means creating 10 separate pages.  Now,
supposing next week, you'd like to make a change to your light table page.
That means going back to each and every one of those 10 pages and making the
exact same change.  Certain programs like GoLive and Dreamweaver will do
that for you in a "brute force" way, but with ASP, you simply make a change
to a single script and the change would appear on all 10 pages, because each
of the 10 pages are built dynamically, at the time of the request, from the
same script.  Just imagine...if you had 1000 images, then you'd be faced
with managing 100 html pages that do the exact same thing, but with
different images!

I don't want to say alot more than this on the list, since we are veering
off topic here, so give me a shout offline if you want more info.  Depending
on your hosting service, ASP usually doesn't cost anything extra.  Many
hosting services, such as http://www.interland.com offer it as part of thier
basic packages for ~$25/mo or so.  There's nothing to set up on your side
either.  You just write your scripts, ftp them to the server as usual, and
run them just as you would any HTML page.  All you need is a simple text
editor!  O'Reilly make a couple of great guides to ASP:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/aspnut2/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/designasp/

- --Jim