Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford delta 100 dev. suggestions
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:49:47 +0200

Dear Mark,

it's high time I haven't done any Rodinal developing - some 10 yrs or more -
as it was too grainy for my liking. I see lots of LUG guys/gals doing Xtol -
I'm afraid I haven't tried it at all (it's not available around here). In
older times I used to mix my own developer (ingredients were easy to get,
while ready-made powders/solutions - a rarity), but currently I prefer
Perceptol, although it's a bit expensive. And, no matter how I like it, at
times the negatives turn out a bit too contrasty for me. So I was thinking
reintroducing the same procedure I described earlier - for myself again
(developer/water bath). It was undiluted D76 I was using for the procedure
back then.
And no streaks!!

Martin

><Snip>
>
> Currently I have got much less time for photo chemistry, and I go for the
> same thing as you do - developer dilution. Only one problem arises then -
> how to avoid streaks on negatives.
>
> But then - Delta is a tricky film for me.
>
> Martin

Martin I don't dilute to the point where streaking is an issue.
Hate to get that once in a lifetime shot ruined. I like consistency.
So with Xtol I do 1:3. D76 I did 1:2. Rodinal i did 1:100 or 1:75.
I tried higher dilutions than dilution B way back of HC-110 like Ansel was
supposed to of but got streaking.
All my results from that developer were from terrible to barely passable.

So i just dilute as much as i can safely. And i try not to hurt anybody.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/