Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford delta 100 dev. suggestions
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:24:56 -0700

These water baths, alkali baths and going back and forth to old developers are
interesting techniques.
The later i've never heard of or thought of but would seem fun and satisfying.
Like alchemy.
Very much what darkroom work can be about. (eye of newt!)
I often have some old paper developer in with the new but that is a far cry.
The use of split baths i would think would come out of a frustration of the
limitation of the tonal range of your negative.
Ansel did it with moonrise because he winged it with the exposure without a
meter and he wasn't sure if he had anything.
Me I'm not experiencing at this point a dissatisfaction and frustration with my
negatives and how they print.
As of late I've been doing OK with simply using the most dilute developer as possible.
My negs are printing nicely. As nicely as they look certainly on the light table.
Delta 100 and 400, some Neopan 1600 with some 400. All printing nicely. My
frustration level in the darkroom is not an issue.
So my inspiration to experiment which technique to further expand the range of
my neg is not there.
But more power to those who are up to it.
But I'd think doing so would come out of a frustration with your negs as to how
they are printing now.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA