Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford delta 100 dev. suggestions
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:32:31 -0700

Dragi Anevski wrote:

> Mark and Michael,
> Ok, you have made me interested, I'm giving it a try.
> Mark, just to make sure, is that 1:2 or 1+2? Also what is your time and
> temperature?
>
> Thanks,
> Dragi

1:2 In photography as always meant one part liquid chemical to 2 parts water.
That's three parts total.
Apparently though a chemist would think it was a ratio and have 2 parts total.
So if you were a chemist you'd have to get over that and think of darkroom
chemistry as existing on a lower level: a pinch of that, a NICE amount of
that... ratios photobugs can't deal with...
1+2 is a more clear way of indicating one part chemical to two parts water. Some
people if they are going to try to switch the photographic convention to that
will have no problem with me as to me it is so clear there is no way to go wrong
as i see it.

But i go 1:3 for my Xtol if I'm the "Mark" you are referring to.
250 mls per liter in a metal tank. A nice amount.
And i keep it in a 250 ml brown glass bottles which are in effect one shot
bottles.
A real no brainer every time you've got to go into your darkroom and run some film.
Done this way the stuff would last a year from what i can tell.
Half filled in a large bottle you are going to experience Xtol failure.
Which means you failed to read the package which tells you not to do this.
It stays clear when dead, but so will your film be clear.
That's why in comes in a five liter package. They don't make five liter bottles.

And don't' worry about the 100 ml min. per roll baloney. It just ain't true. But
you just might have to give it a few more minutes more than recommended times if
you run 4 rolls in a metal liter tank as i do thats 62.5 per roll of "stuff".

I believe Johnny and others will corroborate these findings.

In triplicate

Signed in blood

folded spindled and mutilated

Mark Rabiner