Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 19:33:12 -0700

Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>> Well anyway putting glass in front of your Noctilux is some kind of
abomination against the anti-Fstop.<<<<

Hi Mark,,
This is a full blown confession before the eyes and ears of the Leica world
and the great Leica God... Oskar Barnack!:..

"Oskar, forgive me for I have sinned! I used a 3 stop ND filter on my
Noctilux!" Only in daylight!

When I fiddle around with the Noctilux during daylight hours I have a 3 stop
ND filter, BW I think. Screws right into the lens with a step or down ring.
see how helpful I am. Just a minute I'll go look .....it's a 3 stop ND
filter mounted in a step-up ring making the filter bigger than the lens, but
the ring screws into the lens..

OK, Ok,  Jim, I'm sorry! :-) I know your image of the Nocti guy in Canada
has been shattered because I used a filter on a Noctilux! ;-) ;-) ;-)

However, I've never noticed, of course by now you know I never pay attention
to alot of Leica stuff others do, but I've not noticed any undo Vignetting
or loss of image quality when the ND fitter is on..

Note: I didn't say the pictures were any better or worse. ;-)

I only use the filter when  I'm loaded with 100 speed and working daylight.
The rest of the time the light is low, beautiful and inviting for picture
taking, then Noctilux functions as it should, no background and sharp
subject.;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant