Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Made in Canada in 2001?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:30:03 -0400

At 03:38 PM 9/20/01 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>I've heard the whole story on how the Canadians "Dr. Mandler" saved Leica
with
>the M4 and the Noctilux

The Midland plant was set up by Günther Leitz.  The head of optical design
there was Walther Mandler.  Mandler was a German import, Mark, though he
remained at Midland through his working life.

Mandler had nothing to do with the M4 nor, I believe, the Noctilux.  He was
responsible for the 2.5/12.5cm Hektor, the 1.4/35 and 1.4/50 Summiluxes,
and the first version of the 2/90 Summicron, however.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Message from "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux Made in Canada in 2001?)