Subject: RE: [Leica] Ceramic Pressure Plate
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:41:53 -0500

Mark,

The ST also has a ceramic pressure plate. It's like the RTSIII only it lacks
the vacuum system. Contax put out some literature that really promoted the
ceramic pressure plate. It doesn't expand or contract when the temperature
fluctuates. At least not as much as metal. It remains extremely flat under
all conditions, and in theory holds the film flatter.

I don't know how big of a deal this is in the overall scheme of things, but
I know Contax did quite a bit of research which proved it can make a
difference with high quality lenses and certain films.

Regarding the glass pressure plate in the M3. The glass plate was also known
to potentially cause problems with static electricity when rewinding film.
That's one reason it was replaced with metal.

My M3 is a very early model. It has a glass pressure plate. I've never had a
problem with static electricity.
But I rewind the film slowly.

Dave