Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripods in France
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:22:26 -0700

Tarek wrote:
>>> when was this? Since 1996 the law concerning photography in public
places has been "lightened" (allégée) and you can "shoot" with a tripod
without a special permission from the police, even at the "arc de triomphe",
unless you bother the traffic...<<<<

Hi Tarek,

May 2000.
The laws may state one thing and if that's the case, the police officers
stopped us period! And there was no in between as, No meant No!

With a wag of the finger and "Non non, no tripod."  it was game over! And it
wasn't a big tripod only had an R8 mounted. The interpreter explained we
were doing an assignment on Paris in the evening, but to no avail it didn't
get anything other than, "No tripod!" With a little sharper, "No tripod!"
inflection in the voice.

And we sure weren't on the street and the Arc de Triomphe was at my back as
I wasn't interested in it that close. Besides there are signs all around the
Arc saying no tripods and I'd seen them earlier the day but it appeared it
meant on top of the Arch. Nope it meant not anywhere!

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant