Subject: Re: [Leica] A Modest Proposal
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:25:57 -0700

John Collier wrote:

> I have just taken delivery of a brand new Rapidwinder from Tom A. and all I
> can say is that it is simply marvellous. I never could see the use for one
> until I tried it and now I will never use an M without one!
>
> I bought an old brass bodied one from a Leica-User who had switched to the
> M-Motor – blasphemy :-) – and now I have two rapidwinders and only one body.
> The early brass bodied Rapidwinders are heavier, have a slightly sloppier
> fit to the camera, have a shorter and sharper lever, and, only one tong on
> the coupler. It works perfectly and would give one a good idea what it is
> like to use a trigger winder on a M camera. It has occurred to me that
> others too may be interested in trying before buying and this leads me to:

A couple of nights ago there was a thing on TV about documentary film making.
The guy seemed to feel it all started with HCB. I was surprised to see a real
slant towards stills.

There were shots of him shooting first with an M3 then with a screw mount. (LTM)
	twirl twirl
AND
there was a guy in one of these weightless tests they have in diving airplanes
and this guy was floating around shooting away with a Leica M and what was I
suppose not a Rapidwinder as this was the 60's but a Leicavit.
I wonder how many photographers were out there using those?

Any way I'll have to remember to take the batteries out of My Leica winder M
soon so they don't leak into the motor. The thing just sits there. I've not used
it for months. The Rapidwinders are doing the job and I'll be getting one for my
other body. A silver one.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA