Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: New Aviation Rules
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:55:45 +0100

Sal DiMarco,Jr. wrote:

"One poster stated, British based airlines are not allowing carry-on
baggage.
Well, I just left the British Airways web site and there is NO notice
about a ban, and I called their 800 number to double check and there is NO
such ban."

What I *ACTUALLY* said was:

"At least one UK airline - albeit a small one, Ryanair - has banned *all*
hand baggage. At present *everything* goes in the hold: mobile phones,
laptops, cameras, women's handbags, *everything*."

Ryanair and BA are *NOT THE SAME AIRLINE*.

EasyJet (another British airline which isn't part of BA) weren't allowing
hand baggage on the flights from Belfast on Friday (but were allowing bare
laptops to be taken into the cabin).

Other British airlines are operating similar rules. A friend flew from
Edinburgh to Stanstead on Friday. At Stansted they were allowing no cabin
baggage, but were happy for him to take his camera and lap-top as carry on
provided they were visible. The airline supplied a clear carrier bag for
carrying small items.

Coming back from Edinburgh however ALL baggage had to go in the hold, even
computers and cameras.

But this is my last word on this subject. If I'm going to be sniped at for
trying to be *helpful* and posting information about what the British
airlines are doing *from the UK* (rather than from the website of one UK
airline), then I'll STFU.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.