Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital/ x ray
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:26:26 -0700

leica@davidmorton.org wrote:

> Dennis Painter wrote:
>
> "Magnetic fields cannott affect digital storage unless it is magnetic i.e.
> floppy disks or tape or hard disks. Most digital cameras use semiconductor
> storage, not affected by magnetic fields."
>
> The Microdrives that most folk use in pro digicams (such as the Nikon D1)
> are tiny hard disks.
> <snip>

Hi David,

I considered that microdrives are available but the question for them is what
field strength is necessary to cause damage? and what field strength are they
subjected to in an xray machine.

Everyone should keep in mind that magnetic fields around xray machines are
generated by the hardware generating xrays. In other words xrays themself are
not magnetic fields.

Dennis