Subject: [Leica] More M6 quality control problems
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:17:03 -0700

Last week, one of our local Leica dealers was having thier Leica Days
promotions and I purchased a new .58 M6.  The results were disappointing.
Frames shot at 1/1000, 1/500, and 1/250 had a dark band running down the
right side of each frame.  The effect was most pronounced at 1/1000,
becoming progressively less so at 1/500 and 1/250.

We called the dealer and they quickly swapped the camera for a new one.  We
ran another roll of film through that one and guess what?  Same problem!

Next day, I advised the dealer and, again, they gave me a new camera as a
replacement.  I loaded this 3rd body with film and the shutter button jammed
on the 3rd frame.  I was able to get it working by jiggling the shutter
button, and now the jamming happens only once or twice a roll.  But even
when the shutter does fire, there is some resistance as you push down, which
ends with a soft click, as you continue pushing.

The dealer has been very helpful during all this, but they are as bewildered
as me.  I have asked Leica, through our rep, to please provide me with a .58
that is properly aligned and with a shutter mechanism that is properly
adjusted.  Can that be so difficult?

Those of you who have been on the list for some years may remember my
experience buying a classic M6 .85.  On that unit, the rangefinder had a
serious vertical misalignment and the same shutter bounce problem I'm now
seeing with these .58s.  And shortly after I had that .85 replaced with a
working one, my R6.2 had to be replaced as well due to a malfunction with
the finder light.

What in the heck is going on with Leica quality control?

- --Jim Laurel

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] More M6 quality control problems)