Subject: [Leica] Fog/dust on rangefinder
From: "Dragi Anevski" <dragia@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:01:24

Hi,

Could anyone help me with the following: About a year ago I bought a
double-stroke M3 (serial 818xxx) which I thought looked nice. However, after
a while I discovered that the split image was not as clear as on my M4-P.
After looking at the rangefinder mirror I saw that there were things that
looked like dust particles or fog on it and that it looked like in need of
cleaning. Also the viewfinder needed cleaning, both dust and fog. So I did a
complete CLA at Björn Landström in Stockholm, Sweden, and when I got it back
everything was just great(viewfinder crystal clear, shutter smooth, adjusted
rangefinder to focus down to 0.7 meters) except the rangefinder which was
still not as clear as my M4-P, spots were still there. I spoke with Björn
about that and he said that that was separation in the rangefinder. So, is
there anything I can do about that, apart from changing the whole
view/rangefinder, and how much would it cost, and where could I do it? Can I
change only the rangefinder window? The camera is very nice to use apart
from the rangefinder double image, sometimes when things go fast I can't fix
the focus, also when it is very dark it's more difficult to focus than on my
M4-P. Is this something one should accept from an M3, or is it due to the
fogged/dusted/separated rangefinder vindow?

Dragi Anevski