Subject: Re: [Leica] SA lens hood problem
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:25:06 -0600

The hood is made up in two pieces, with the mounting ring being glued to the
rectangular shade. The first thing to check is that the mounting post is
right at the top of the lens in line with the focus arrow. If not, you will
have to send the lens out for repair and have the front ring installed
properly. The lens has not been produced since 1980 and went into production
in 1963 so the plastic hood is old and quite often the glue holding the two
parts weakens. Perhaps someone glued yours back together incorrectly. You
will have to gently pry the two pieces apart and then glue it back together
properly. If the repair was done with modern two part epoxies, it may be
impossible to separate. There are used hoods on "the auction site that dare
not say its name" for $45US to $85US depending on condition.

John Collier