Subject: Re: [Leica] Terror
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:50:50 -0400

on 9/13/01 11:13 AM, B. D. Colen at bdcolen2001@yahoo.ca wrote:

> Okay, George, let me get this straight:
>
> Hitler's swallowing of Europe and murder of more than
> six million Jews - to say nothing of gays, gypsies,
> and the retarded and mentally ill, did not justify the
> Allies waging war against Germany?

personally I think WWII was absolutely justified, read necessary, but it had
nothing whatever to do with the murder of Jews, which none of the allies
knew about until very close to the end of the war. You only have to see the
footage of the Allies entering the concentration camps to understand what a
massive shock it came as to see what had happened. WWII was NOT about saving
Jews. Indeed the effort to help evacuate Jews was a largely voluntary effort
mounted by the Christian churches and Jewish organisations.

MNoreover, the mistreatment of Jews and others had been going on for
literally YEARS before the outbreak of war with very little reaction from
any of the allies beyond the occasional rumble of discontent. Quite a few
people were glad to see Hitler taking a stand against what was perceived as
the communist menace. And, very privately, many British politicians of the
right regarded Jews as troublemakers.

What provoked entry into war by the British was Hitler's continual breach of
undertakings. The annexation of the Sudetenland was only the latest in a
long series of aggressive moves, which the British had let Hitler get away
with again and again because no-one (quite rightly) wanted another war.
Churchill, who had argued that Hitler needed to be stopped, was widely seen
as a bloodthirsty warmonger until Hitler's own actions made it impossible to
deny the reality of his intentions and the truth of what Churchill had been
saying.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com