Subject: Re: [Leica] lens heresy
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:05:23 -0400

John-
Just a thought, and I am sure to get the bejabbers flamed out of my Nomex
skivvies... I won't be able to use them for lens cleaning afterwards- I am
quite sure, but here goes:
given that the statements you made are true, and I am in full agreement,
what if... Leica had a 'second tier' of lenses- perhaps not labeled 'Leica'
but still superior to the offerings of other makers of generic lenses.
I would think that if they could successfully work with Minolta to produce
some of their R lenses in the past, that the same type of arrangement might
be attempted- Of course they would be more expensive than the N and C
brands, perhaps, but margianlly better even if they didn't quite reach the
standards of the Leica marque.
Would it be worth it to have a slightly upscale lens- a Bentley in stead of
a Roller?
To use a fountain pen analogy, my gold Parket Sonnet writes as well as the
Mont Blanc I tried- but was a whole lot chgeaper!!
Dan