Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm f/2.0 purchase
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:35:05 -0600

Here I am gone already but I saw one I missed!

For a discussion of the relative merits of the various versions of the 50/2
go here:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/testm/scronhist.html

http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

Only the first version of the summicron was collapsible and subsequent
versions are better performers. This is all relative to your shooting style.
If you are a sunny day ISO 400 print kind of guy, then there is not much
difference between the versions. However if you shun the light and seek to
expose the night to your unerringly arresting vision, then the newer
versions are much better wide open.

John Collier