Subject: Re: [Leica] Photography in Saudi Arabia
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:00:33 -0700

Bill, I can assure you that you are at less risk touring around the Middle
East than in most American cities.  Before we transited Baluchistan (a
region in west Pakistan, just below Afghanistan, that stretches roughly from
the Iranian border some 700+km to Multan), I contacted the US embassy in
Karachi, since that is thier consular district.  I was very bluntly told by
the vice consul that we would very likely not make it through there alive.
We drove across in our own vehicle, found it to be a very welcoming area and
experienced nothing but great hospitality.  I'll bet if you research the
stats, you would find that far fewer murders are committed in Baluchistan
than Cincinnati.

I'm glad I didn't leave the Leicas home!

- --Jim