Subject: [Leica] Re: 400mm f/6.8 Macro-Telyt-R (180mm f/2.8 Apo-Macro?)
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:00:15 -0400

2001-08-07-23:28:16 Doug Herr:
> No there isn't any such thing but on a recent trip to Yosemite some
> plants were inaccessible unless I used extension tubes on my fave
> lens, the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt.

Ooh.  Now I'm really curious about how extension tubes and the 180/2.8
Apo would get on.  Anyone tried *that*?

I have this kind of sinking feeling that because the lens is one of
those fancy internal-focusing designs, it's well-corrected within its
proper range but less amenable than a more classic design to just
being moved forward wholesale to focus even closer.  If I had some
Leica extension tubes, I'd of course try it instead of theorizing, but
I don't and why do I assume the extensions are probably kind of
expensive?

So, again... anybody tried it?