Subject: [Leica] Re: digital M redoux
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 20:37:58 -0700

At 07:37 PM 7/21/01 -0700, Jay Burleson wrote:

>So if I can get an M style body that has a good quality chip in it and uses
>the lenses that I have bought and paid for long ago, I am not bothered that
>they won't use the full capability of those lenses.
>Because they will use the full capability of the chip, which is what I'm
>buying.
>How many of us use the full capability of our lenses with film anyway?

As I wrote earlier, you have to "dumb down" Leica lenses in order to use
them on a digital sensor. You cannot collect data that is running at a
higher frequency than the collector. The Nyquist limit. Look it up. A
resolution killing filter (a blur filter) must be used in the camera
between the lens and the sensor. See the white paper on lenses for digital
cameras on the Schneider web site. An inexpensive Asian 10-150mm zoom will
produce pictures every bit as good as a Leica M lens when used with a CCD
or CMOS sensor. And you won't have to keep switching lenses for different
focal lengths. It is a simple fact of the state of digital. And it won't
change for a long time yet.

Jim