Subject: [Leica] Re: Motor M experience
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:40:00 +1000

Pierre Charbonneau <charbonneaup@videotron.ca> wrote:

> [Compact M Motor - notes and (+ve) impressions]

I've been using the motor too since March and I generally agree,
it is a must-have for M shooters.

I have found though that it is better used as an auto-winder
than as a motordrive to shoot a sequence of shots.

The problem with shooting sequences is that the motor jerks
quite a lot after each shot (due to the mechanical linkage).
So you can forget about shooting sequences at speeds slower
than 1/250th.

Then to add insult to injury, I have just discovered that if
you set the speed setting to "quiet" and shoot a sequence of
shots at 1/125th (ie you press the shutter down and keep your
finger on it), then all the shots after #1 will be ruined due
to "smearing" of the LHS of the frame.  What appears to happen
is that the M shutter front curtain starts to travel _before_
the film has come fully to rest.

I have tested this on both recently CLA'd M6 (TTL 0.85) and M4-P -
the problem exists with both cameras.

Needless to say, this is very annoying.

But using the motor as a winder is a dream.  Take the shot.  Zip.
Wait a second, take another.  Zip.  Painless and relatively quiet
too (especially for a guy who can remember what the Nikon MD-1
sounded like!...)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds