Subject: [Leica] Re: Professional Camera Repair is Closing
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 06:13:59 +1000

shino@ubspainewebber.com wrote:

>i just went down there today and picked up my last repair.
>they are really shutting down... calling their customers and
>cleaning the place up.
>
>herb was there and i gave my thanks for the years of great service.

I don't know why they are closing, but when I had my Nikon F2A
modified to mount Leica R lenses, the experience wasn't a very
happy one.

<http://nemeng.com/equipment/f2ar.html>

Basically I found that PCR had no communication skills.  Emails
would routinely go unanswered.  So you'd wait a few weeks and then
ring them up (from the other side of the world) and ask how things
were going and whether they got your message.

They'd reply "yeah, got the email, but were too busy to reply"
and that's it.

Then, only after the job was completed (2 months later), they
sprang a surprise when it came time to pay by arrogantly and
dismissively informing me (as if I were some kind of crook)
that they don't accept credit cards.  So I had to send an
international money order.  Then wait another month, send a
few more unanswered emails, ring them up a couple of times
before they finally get around to mailing the camera back
to you.

Grrrr....

And now for the clincher, 8 months later the shutter fails
completely.  I take it to my local Nikon repair guy who opens
it up to find that it is full of metal shavings!

He cleans out the junk and adjusts it and it has worked
flawlessly since.

Maybe PCR thought "Australian = Bunny", maybe I was unlucky...
but the experience was sufficiently negative enough to put a
stop to wanting other lens and camera modifications.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds
<http://nemeng.com>  -> vr java applets, leica faq, tech info