Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:15:58 -0400

I have to grudgingly agree- a friend of mine who is very good at nature
photography, and who love to go to various workshops ( I think he likes the
good food and fellowship more than anyhting he might learn as he is already
extremely good) has taught his daughter of 13 how to use a camera.
As a neophyte, she has already dumped one Nikon N90 and tripod down a
mountain, and has had many of the accidents neophytes are prone to have, but
he has taught her well.
This coupled with a very good eye has made her an outstanding talent for
butterflies and birds; I envy the ease an confidence she has in taking her
photos. After nearly 35 years of piddling around, I am almost ashamed to
admit that I wish I had the vision and acumen of this youngster. She has
already published- she recently got one of her shots on the cover of the
North Carolina Wildlife magazine, and is starting to show her work.
I know a lot of her work is the result of the fine coaching her father has
done, and he is quite generous within his means to provide good tools (He
does keep the Leicas for himself, however!), but she does seem to have some
innate talent, a "Je ne sais quoi" that lets her stand out in our camera
group.
I have told her that she should continue her efforts; it is the
photographer, and not the equipment. I told her about how Margaret
Bourke-White made many a fine images with a beat-up ole second hand Graflex
that had a lens with a huge bubble in it. I have seen very striking and
beautiful images made with a home-made cardboard camera using Polaroid
materials, so it is possible.
I hope and anticipate seeing her work when she finally gets some 'good'
equipment! :o)
Dan (Slogging around in the dark!) Post