Subject: Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 07:13:20 -0700

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:23:51 -0400
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
<OE33SSfWXWzRPTNZStg000003d0@hotmail.com> <3B3355BF.E34179E7@ncep.noaa.gov>
<OE47X50yki4jsGvs0Qz0000065a@hotmail.com>

Mxsmanic wrote:

> After getting an M6, I was surprised at how accurately the primitive meter
was,
> overall.  But then again, I suppose metering isn't really black magic, and
most
> meters probably get most situations right.

Hey, what about the skill of the photographer?  I used a Rollei SL-35 for 30
years and almost all of my exposures after the first year or so were right
on.  It just had a silly CDS center weighted meter, but I learned how to use
it.  Meter on what I wanted, perhaps not even anything in the final picture.
I could meter well beyond the range of the meter.  Take those readings wide
open even when it told you it was 1/2 second, then stop down to what you
wanted and adust the shutter.  Cable release and stop watch (one
chimpanze...) Matrix meter in the head.  I now use an R4 (for about 9
months) and I am having the same learning curve with it.  Most of my shots
are coming out just fine as far as exposure goes, but maybe I wanted it a
bit darker or lighter.  It will come.

The real test of the meter would be to give an R8, F5 or whatever to a
complete novice.  Set it on one of the automatic modes and tell them to
shoot a few rolls of film at anything and everything forgetting what their
grandfather told them about the sun at their back.  Then see how the meter
performs.

Aram

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)