Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:36:32 -0400

> Im wondering if they don?t let people take photographs in these places as
> it may discourage tourists from purchasing post cards, books etc.

I was just walking through Jordan Marsh (now Macy's) some years ago just
CARRYING my Hasselblad in my hand...and three security "persons" (that's
another story in and of it self) approached me at once, and told me they had
to take my camera away from me, because I was violating "store rules".  I
think they were bored.  Needless to say, they did not lay one finger on
either me or my camera.

I believe "corporate" policies are so that competitors won't come in and
photograph their displays...  IMO, kind of silly thinking...but I kind of
understand the stores point, as it is their property.  But the public areas
of a mall, I have a hard time agreeing with any photographically restrictive
policy (for handheld that is).