Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 motor-winder vs. drive (mo' better)
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:35:37 -0400

Ted-
You are a true gentleman! You are the type of guy that can send back an
incorrectly cooked steak to the kitchen to be re-done, not take it out on
the waitress/waiter and still leave them a good tip if they straightened out
the problem!!! "Calmly and Simply", as you put it gets much better results
than ranting and raving, which is usually done at a person who has nothing
to do with the problem, and is usually caught in the middle!!
Over the course of my reading the many thousands of messages about this and
that, the seemingly poor quality of some of Leica's service described by
some, and the wonderful service described by others, I often pondered if the
reporter used your approach, or another, less 'civilised' manner!!
I know we praise someone like Sherry, to a man, since she is a 'one
man'operation, and she is consistently good, but we forget that someplace
like Leica USA is composed of many people, most I assume- in all fairness-
are loyal helpful folk, and possible one or two dimbulbs who just don't get
it. Damning a  whole organization for the actions of a few is easy, but
being patient enough to calmly talk to someone can make all the difference
in the world.
I know Leica has a few really outstanding people- Dave Elwell in parts comes
to mind. They are always helpful, willing to answer questions, and even if
you aren't sure of what the part is called, they take the time to look up a
scematic, and actually help! I have had very few problems with Leica gear-
though I do not give it the workout that you or other pros might, but when I
have had a problem, it has usually been quickly dealt with, and to a
satisfying conclusion!
Someone once said that you should keep your words soft and sweet- you never
know when you might have to eat them....
Dan