Subject: RE: [Leica] Does the Soft Release damage the shutter release?
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 06:49:02 -0400

Nathan,

> As you may recall, Otto asked a question earlier this week about an M6
> he had bought on which the shutter release button did not always release
> in a nice way. Well, he bought the M6 from me, and he and I will resolve
> the issue in private. But now I have a question: the reason I did not
> notice it myself is that I always use Soft Releases on my Ms. This means
> that the shutter button is more or less permanently pressed on when the
> cameras are in the tight-fitting Domke bag. Can this be the reason for
> the problem with the M6 Otto bought from me, and am doing similar damage
> to my other M cameras?

A very good question that I've wondered myself.  I shot without a softie for
a few months with no problems, then with one for several more months and
grew accustomed to using it.  Last month, my softie fell off (somewhere), so
I started using it without again and it felt to me that the shutter was much
more finicky and difficult to use (seems like it has less travel and is
smushed down too low in its holder).  But I figured perhaps this is the way
it always was and I just got accustomed to using the softie.  I don't have a
second M6 with which to compare it....

Dan