Subject: [Leica] R8 motor-winder vs. drive (again)
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 01:27:48 -0400

Okay, I had all but decided that the motor-winder was my choice--as I much
prefer the size, weight and handling with the winder as opposed to the
bulkier drive--but then I read two posts that have me concerned:

1. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Occasionally (yes, only occasionally) unacceptably slow shutter reaction
when used without motor-drive - unlike all other cameras I've used, the R8
doesn't always release it's shutter when (or before) the button reaches the
bottom. This is what happens: you press the shutter release, you feel (and
hear) the button hit the bottom of it's travel, then after a fraction of a
second, I'd say around 0.2 seconds, the shutter fires. I've missed more than
a few potentially great shots because of this. All is well when either one
of the shutter release buttons on the motor-drive is used instead.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Source:
http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/35mm_cameras/product_4918.asp

2. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The winder on the R8 will eventually drive you mad they are so slow to
re-act and at best only a lazymans film advance.  Trust me if you get the
winder,you'll become so frustrated you'll end up buying the motor. [...]
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Source: our own unimpeachable Ted Grant, in a LEG msg dated 2/7/01.

Based on these two comments, I'm wondering if getting the motor-winder,
despite the better ergonomics (in my view) and smaller footprint/weight,
isn't a mistake for the R8.  I find slow reaction or shutter lag to be a
vice I'd rather not suffer in my SLR (in fact, it seems surprising for a
camera of this class).

Anyone else care to weigh in on one side or the other?  Have others
experienced this slow shutter reaction time in using the R8?

Dan

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] R8 motor-winder vs. drive (again))
Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] R8 motor-winder vs. drive (again))