Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hexar Back focus
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:42:22 -0400 (EDT)

My M3 (927xxx) has four rails, but only three appear to do something.  The
top rail is very high.  The top of the plate hits this rail as you shut the back
(it slides toward the top of the camera).  That rail is not visible when
the back is open.  You have to look up and in to see it.  As far as I can
tell, it has no function.

The second and third rails are what the film rests on.  The pressure plate
appears to push the film hard against both of these when you have the
shutter open and the bottom screwed on.

The fourth rail (at the bottom) seems to be a guide.  It is higher than
the third rail.

Dante