Subject: [Leica] RE: Konica
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@inicia.es>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:32:49 +0200

Mark,

"My interest in Konica or Voigtländer and Cosina is VERY limited."

But it seems that many other people are interested in use Voigtländer and
Konica lenses in Leica bodies. Why avoid then this information to them! Just
because with Leica one cannot use other materials than Leica? What about
flashes?

"The reasons other people don't' use Leica are many"

Of course they are. Some of them do prefer reflex finder, some of them do
not need such a outstanding lens perfection, some of them do wish macro pics
or big teles, and, why not, some of them do like autofocus and other
modernities... But most of them think that perfection has a extreamly big
price to be paid. I use a M6 and it is not in a shelf but in his bag and
never showed to my friends.

"Mainly it's really that people hate shelling out a grand for something
that doesn't have any micromotors in it or LED's."

Micromotors or LED's are not bad by themeselves; I do prefer a good modern
camera than a good oldfashioned camera if the former has more photographic
capabilities. For instance do you thing that anybody will reject a M7, let's
say, made by Leica standard of quality with some of the features of the
Hexar RF? I am not in the way of buying a Hexar but my answer is yes. If not
everybody will be in a hurry to buy a Leica O or better the first Kodak!

"But I value my glass over every thing else."

I do agree absolutely with you and IMHO the future of LEICA, which I believe
that under a economical point of view could be  under strong difficulties,
should be, heretic thought!, in manufacturing and supplying outstanding
lenses for other makers...

"Your pictures are where Félix?"

I told you before that if you wish I can send to you the pictures. It could
be the ones  I had for my first public exhibition here in Bilbao last year,
about "Los colores de la mar" the sea colors, or the corresponding to the
next public exibition next september "La otra Venecia" another Venzia,
showing the decadence of the cityt of the doges. Unfortunately I hadn't my
M6 yet so the first exhibition was made with Hasselblad, and the second has
been made with the Nikon F5, you know micromotors and LED's. I promise you
the next one  will be with M6. But anyway do you mean that if you don't like
my pictures, Bilbao public did, I am wrong about thinking that some Leica
owners are men that scorn other material and If my pics are bad, I am wrong?
Please pay attention to my words not to my pics. If not Cartien-Bresson or
Salgao are more clever that Aristoteles was.

"Blow me away with them and I'll switch to Konica
and join the Konica list."

Nobody compulse you to do that, merely allow other Lug people to use other
brands "with their Leicas" and comment here...

And yes Mark our conversation is very pleasent for me and I sincerely wish
to you

Kind regards

Félix

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Konica)