Subject: Re: [Leica] M3, R4 modification Q's
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 07:02:54 -0500

> Hello,
>
> Looking for advice for customizing some gear (who does the various jobs,
> how much (multi-camera discounts available?) and if you've had the work
> done, are you happy?)
>
> Starting with a clean chrome single-stroke M3, serial number 1M+ :
>
> -Change to M4-type film loading (DAG, Reinhold Mueller or..? And do I
> get to reuse the existing baseplate?) I wanted to try the rapid film
> load kit first, but haven't been able to get ahold of one on eBay or
> anywhere else lately.
> -Change flash synch sockets to modern types
> -Change to M6-type eyepiece
> -Swap clean, clear M3 RF assembly for modern 0.85 RF assembly for the
> 35mm framelines (who does this?)
> -Olive or black enamel paint (Shintaro, I know about, but has anyone
> seen the work of a Mr. Ye? (wye7 on eBay)
>
> Jeff Segawa
> NO ARCHIVE

Jeff,

One thing to think about is once you start down this proposed road with
modifying an M3 is not having the camera for quite a long time (I hear
Shintaro is now taking at least 4 months to paint a camera). DAG is very
busy with normal repair work and doing modifications to an M3 is probably
not his favourite thing to do. You might be better off with an M6.

Steve
Annapolis