Subject: [Leica] Friday Follies
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 08:13:04 -0500

I try to mix these up; avoiding the poor quality tagging is a problem
lately as miscreants want to deface art with excrement.  Some of the
commercial work is true art in the sense of some of the best commercial
work by outstanding artists as magazine covers or ad spreads from the 30's
through the 60's.

I happened upon a stash of Camera Magazine out of Switzerland from the late
60's to the very early 70's.  The coherence of the editorial decisions
about promoting aspects of photography especially toward the younger
photographers coming up was very impressive.  Especially considering the
revolution occurring with exposure automation and autofocus.  This is
relevant as I think that spray can art has indeed broken out of major
cities throughout the world.  To support themselves as artists the better
marketed have to do commissioned work; hopefully with a great deal of
freedom to paint their idea with commercial restrictions.