Subject: [Leica] Wednesday Weeds
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 04:45:00 -0500

Greetings to all.  This week we are back in Austin.  St. Augustine is a
common grass in Austin and it grows primarily by spreading and rooting.
This little bit will have trouble rooting:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/hunting+for+new+soil+to+conquer.jpg.html

While ingenious using a hollow tube for support the water table is too far
away for the heat:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/too+hot+and+too+far+from+water.jpg.html

This enterprising little plant is very common in the cooler spring months
and fall:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/trying+out+for+spike+protein.jpg.html

This is from an abandoned shopping center.  A local grocery chain had
bought out all the leases and planned to put in a much needed grocery store
to replace a small one across the intersection.  Our local city planning
board couldn't figure out how to manage the traffic in and out  so instead
of a flat store they are building a three story version in the old
location.  Once that is open this center will be demolished and a mid-rise
combined retail/housing complex will be built adding even more traffic to
an already busy intersection.  In any case even in our relatively dry
climate the vines come in and start to take over:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/vines+taking+over+after+humans+evacuate.jpg.html

These are what are locally called water lillies; they come up after any
heavy rain and produce seeds in a week or so:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/water+lillies+by+the+sidewalk.jpg.html

This stand of iris has been blooming every year with no care and no water.
They are very welcome in the spring as we walk to the various stores nearby:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/wild+iris+next+to+a+fence.jpg.html

All the best.

--
Don