Subject: [Leica] Leica is officially a jewellery company
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 03:43:20 -0400

Problem with that is that none of the non-wealthy that those watch buyers
want to impress have ever heard of Leica. If that was my reason to buy a
watch, I'd just get a Rolex. If I didn't care about impressing anyone and
just wanted a high end watch for personal enjoyment, I'd get an Omega, a
Grand Seiko, or (If I were really wealthy) a Patek Philippe. The Leica watch
holds no appeal to me.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

https://chriscrawfordphoto.com  My portfolio

https://sx70project.com The Polaroid SX-70 Project

https://crawfordphotoschool.com Learn From Me

?On 4/27/23, 11:44 PM, "LUG on behalf of Frank Filippone via LUG"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
lug at leica-users.org> wrote:

    I believe fancy expensive MENs watches are primarily sold to those that
want to show their power or wealth.  It is an example of male dominance.

    Yes, they will sell a ton.... because no one else has one.....
exclusivity.

    If you want an accurate timepiece, use your phone, accurate to the local
national time standard.  .  But you will not impress anyone.

    Wear a .... name the fancy brand..... and you get street credibility.

    Those around you know you have arrived.

    How nice it is to be well retired form this kind of thinking.....

    BTW, for those that have forgotten, or never knew, the Portugal
operation of Leicas was bought as a working watch making operation.  The
thought was
    that the employees were already experienced with working tiny
tolerances. They would more easily be re-trained to work on cameras.

    Frank Filippone
    BMWRed735i at Gmail.com

    On 4/27/2023 4:36 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj via LUG wrote:
    > This has been around for years. Not unlike large swathes of their
product
    > line, the watches are ridiculously overpriced for what they offer.
There
    > are brands, like Montblanc, for example, whose brand expansion into
watches
    > has been a success - their watches offer far more value for their price
    > than their pens do - this was achieved by taking over a storied and
    > respected Swiss manufacturer, Minerva. Leica have just extended these
    > overpriced fripperies by subcontracting (to Lehmann Pr?zision),
targeting
    > the same nouveau riche wannabe purchasers that Rolex does - but that is
    > frighteningly formidable competition. I doubt they sell too many -
IMHO,

https://leica-camera.com/es-ES/World-of-Leica/Leica-Watch?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_term=https%3A//leica-camera.com/leica-watch.#monochrom