Subject: [Leica] February 2023 pictures
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:11:25 +0100

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for looking and your interesting comments.

I was lucky to have nailed the focus on Swing in movement with the Nocti
wide open, thank you very much!

Concerning the tonalty, I agree about better tonalities with FP4, Tri-X, HP5
(but this one is very grainy in 35mm), Verichrome Pan don?t exist any more,
at least in Spain. In my opinion tonalities we get and see on a back-lighted
monitor are different when you print them on a inkjet copy or a wet copy,
the inkjet transition of tonalities by the inks or pigments is different, on
a wet print the tonalities are progressing more smoothly than in inkjet,
after all it is computer science that mathematically applies the progress of
tonalities, very different from a chemical reaction. Also another fact has
an influence, in my opinion, the B&W we see from a scanned film is not the
same as the B&W printed on a wet copy, the scanner reads and give a
different rendering than the real one when you enlarge a print on the
darkroom, frequently the scanner give a wrong read of the highlights and
give a certain more rich information about the shadows. The digital B&W with
the Leica Monochrom is very nice on the monitor, but in my opinion the
tonalities from a negative wet print is better than any digital copy. The
inks and pigments are a surface treatment, the chemistry is a treatment that
impregnates the inside of the paper. It is true that nowadays digital prints
have improved a lot, everyone has their preferences, they are different
technologies, however I see that in the market chemical prints are still
more appreciated by collectors than digital prints.

Best!
Lluis