Subject: [Leica] New Year Greeting
From: billclough042541 at gmail.com (Bill Clough)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 21:12:24 -0600

           In his Dec. 31, 1939 broadcast from London, his year-end review
of the war against Germany? when England stood alone ? Edward R. Murrow
included:

?This is the only opportunity I shall have to extend new year?s greetings
to my friends at home. Here they are: the new year is at our door, I wish
for the stupid a little understanding, and for the  understanding a little
poetry. I wish a heart for the rich, and a little bread for the poor. But
above all, I wish that we may blackguard each other as little as possible
during the new year.

?Those words were written by a German, Heinrich Heine ? a great man ? who
died in 1856.?

Page 64 of his book ?This is London.?

?Bill Clough

Washington audio