Subject: [Leica] m10-R and uncoded lenses
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 23:21:38 -0800

It's not hype, but it may or may not matter for you.

You can use most lenses uncoded and you will be fine. But the
corrections do correct color shifts in the corners and edges of the
frame. The shifts are only noticeable with lenses of 35mm and wider. And
with 35s, the shift is often so slight most people wouldn't notice. The
in-camera correction is a compromise between wider apertures where the
shift is more prominent, and narrower apertures, where it is less
noticeable. All digital cameras have some corner color shifts--it has to
do with the angle of the light hitting the sensor. It's just that modern
DSLRs and "mirrorless" models read the chip in the lens and correct
automatically. With Leica lenses, there's no chip with "who am I?"
information, hence the six-bit codes.

You might want to manually select a Leica lens in the camera menus for
uncoded lenses wider than 35mm.

50mm and longer, it doesn't matter unless you want the vignetting
corrections. For 35mm, slight cyan corner tints in shots at wide
apertures may occur. They bother some people, but not others. At 28mm or
wider, you probably will want to set the camera for a lens of that focal
length if you shoot color. If the camera has your lens in its menu use
that. If not, select something of the same focal length.

Hope this is helpful.
--Peter

Replies: Reply from bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank F) ([Leica] m10-R and uncoded lenses)