Subject: [Leica] Snow under the scope
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 13:41:12 -0800

Well, finally some snow that looked good enough to try.? Nice looking
flakes, but it is not much below freezing, so hard to keep then intact
to put them under the microscope.? They survive OK, but the light from
the scope takes its toll.? It is an overhead LED, but light is still
light, and black is still black and absorbs light and heats up.? With
only 2 degrees F leeway, it is not enough.? Will have to hope for more
snow when it gets colder. Here are are a few first attempts.? I had to
change background materials as the one I bought was too fibery and you
could hardly see the flakes for the fibers.? These are just black matte
board, all I could find that was handy.

This one is not too bad as it was setting a bit above the surface of the
board, so not too distracting.

_DSC2588 (leica-users.org)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/w22_001/s/_DSC2588.jpg.html>

This one shows the board texture and you can see where the flake is
melting already.

_DSC2598-Edit (leica-users.org)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/w22_001/s/_DSC2598-Edit.jpg.html>

And this one had melted almost flat on the board so no real separation.?
The texture of the board is very evident, but still way better than the
felt I had originally thought to use.

_DSC2590-Edit (leica-users.org)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/w22_001/s/_DSC2590-Edit.jpg.html>

I am thinking I will take some microscope slides, freeze them, then put
them on the matte board.? They should hold the flakes far enough away
from the board surface that the texture might not show up.

These are all stacked images of 3-5 images for DOF.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Aram

--
Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher

would ever have dared dream.?   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Snow under the scope)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Snow under the scope)
Reply from ric at CartersXRd.net (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Snow under the scope)