Subject: [Leica] [IMG] [PESO]:A few from The Tideway
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:58:18 +0000

I have been in Fulham for the last month. One morning last week it was
very misty as I walked the dogs in Bishop's Park down by The Tideway.
So... Apologies that these are from my phone (-:

Bishops Park is a park next to the former Palace of The Bishop of London
(now a museum). The Tideway is the stretch of the Thames which begins
next to Bishop's Park on which the Boat Race is run every spring . This
is the beginning of the course by the boat houses where the local rowing
clubs are based.

A pair of fours approaches through the mist with their trainers/safety
boats following:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/BoatsonTideway-1-20221114_074621-02.jpeg.html>

The mist gave some beautiful shadows of the trees on the opposite bank

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Mist-2-20221114_075326.html>

By the Palace tare several number sets of stairs to allow passengers
from boats using the river to land. These are for the ferry which
crossed from one bank to the other. The ferry apparently cost one (old)
penny and was in use from the 1900s to about the mid-sixties and was
very popular with supporters going to the football at nearby Fulham FC
(Craven Cottage)

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/FerryCrossing_20221114_074214.jpg.html>

The embankment was built up in the late 19th Century and is in fact
mostly builders' rubble behind a granite wall. On top runs a beautiful
footpath which is part of the Thames Pathway which runs all along the
River and out into the country.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Foothpath_B_amp_W_20221114_074137-01.jpeg.html>

The bank used to have wharves and mooring points along it. They have now
been reclaimed but all along this stretch of the path there are odd bits
of industrial archaeology:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Bollard_20221114_075621-02.jpeg.html>

Thanks for looking and as ever your C&Cs are much appreciated.

Peter
--

Dr. Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] [IMG] [PESO]:A few from The Tideway)